Monday, October 26, 2009

A really bad week

Bad, as in no workouts and pretty much stuffing my face silly.

Only 2 days of exercising. I don't know if it's the cold weather or me just being lazy but I didn't find it in my heart to get on my elliptical machine the rest of the week. sigh But I'm going to challenge myself again....at least 30 minutes on the elliptical EVERY DAY THIS WEEK!

My eating was really bad. Lots of candy and junk. This week, I'm going to try getting back on track. And it won't be too hard because I'm really broke so I can't spend money on junk food or fast food. But I also can't get groceries until this weekend, so I don't have a lot of healthy options (or any, for that matter). We'll see how I fare this week.

With all that being said, the scale read 260.6 this morning. Down 0.4 pounds. But I'd rather not count it because I've already been 260.6. It'll be a real, true loss when I'm in the 250's again. Gosh, I can't wait to be there.

Found this little doozy in the November issue of Cooking Light. Again, I don't normally try out recipes from this magazine because they call for lots of ingredients (and sometimes too pricey for me). But I had everything on hand to try this one out. And it came out AWESOME.

Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Topping:
Cooking spray
1/3 c packed brown sugar
2 T butter
6 oz. fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries

Cake:
6.75 ounces (or about 1.5 c) all purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 c sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
2 large egg yolks
1 t vanilla
1/2 c 1% milk
2 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 350.
For the topping: Coat a 9" round cake pan with cooking spray. (I don't have a round pan, so I used a square one) Heat brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. (I, for the life of me, could not get this right. So all I did was melt down 1/3 cup of white sugar and used that as my glaze) Pour sugar mixture into prepared cake pan tilting pan to coat bottom evenly. Arrange cranberries evenly over sugar mixture. (I couldn't find cranberries at the supermarket, so I used frozen raspberries)
For the cake: Combine flour, baking powder, and salt ; stir with a whisk. Beat sugar and butter with a mixer at medium speed until well blended and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form using clean, dry beaters. Gently fold egg whites into the batter. Spoon batter over the cranberries, spreading evenly. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (For some reason the second time I made this, it came out a bit dry. I don't know why since I did everything exactly the same as that first time. So you may want to keep an eye on it) Cool in pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan with a narrow metal spatula. Place serving plate upside down on top of cake and invert the cake pan onto the plate. Let stand 5 minutes and remove the pan. Serve warm.

Yields 12 servings



1 comment:

  1. That cake looks beyond yummy. I bookmarked the recipe but I have a feeling that it would trigger a binge for me so ... maybe not!

    Good luck getting back on track! I'm cheering for you. =)

    ReplyDelete